Sunday, April 3, 2016

So far we have been here for over 21 days. That means for 21 days we have slowly been getting used to the new culture that surrounds us. One of the biggest differences that I see is that they do not show their emotion on their face. Back in the United States if I passed someone who I did not know on the streets then I would expect them to smile and me, and I would smile back. However, I have made eye contact with many locals here and they just look at me weird. Another interesting difference is the price on simple food. For example, if I order fries here I have to order ketchup which will come in a little jar and they will charge me around 20 cents. Another thing that I miss in the United States is the food! Ranch does not exist here and the hamburgers here are not nearly as good as back home! They also do not ask you questions about you food. In America, they ask you as soon as you get your food if it tastes alright. Here you have to hunt them down to ask for ketchup or the check.
Breakfast that we had in Glasgow.

George enjoying a beverage in Prague Airport.

Food we had in Olomouc.






















Their version of a hamburger!







Next, if I am walking my dog around in the U.S and someone came up and asked me if they could pet my dog, I would say yes and not really care. However, it is so common for people to have their dog with them all the time that me asking to pet their dog would be weird and is very uncommon. One of the things that has bothered the people in my group is the drinks. Here we will order a pop and it will come in a glass bottle and our waiter will bring another clear glass and pour some of the drink into it. Which does not make much sense to me but I am used to where if I order a drink then it will come in a clear glass with ice. Over here they do not own the rights to their water so having fountain soda is not common. As a result of this they barely have any ice. The only time I have ever gotten any ice with a beverage is if someone ordered shots, or if it is a mixed drink that requires ice. A weird event that happens every often is that we will ask people if they speak English and they will look at us and say in English that they don’t. They also will full on stare at you for no apparent reason and will not look away when you catch them. In Europe I have also noticed that they are very eco-friendly. For example, at Target you would go to check out and the cashier will ring in your items and bag as they go, sometimes even put them in your cart for you. Also they are always on their feet. However, here the cashier is always sitting and they will scan your items and slide it over to where you bag all of your food or you carry it. Overall it is very different here but you still see some of the same crazy things happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment