Sunday, May 8, 2016

Lick the Walls!

I hope while reading that title you started to worry a little but it is okay, our tour guide said it was okay! If you are confused then let me start from the beginning of the trip. Around 9am on Friday morning we all piled into the bus for another trip. After a four hour drive we were there back in Poland! However, this time it was not quite depressing as the last time. Before we even checked into our hostel we were on an adventure. First up was a salt mine. Not going to lie I was pretty excited about this because I have never been to anything like it and after seeing a lot of the same things it was an exciting change. We first had to walk down tons of stairs and I mean it! There are 6 steps going down and there were 54 of them. J

View of the stairs we had to climb down!
Skye, Cassie and I at 110 meters down!




After a while of going down these I was getting dizzy. Then she started to take us through the sections that were open to us. What was really interesting to me is that they have their own air way down there and some are sectioned off by doors. So every so often we would open a door and all squeeze into this hallway and we had to close the first door in order to open the second. I am also proud to say that while I was down here I did lick the wall multiple times. So I can cross that off my bucket list! The salt that was down there surprisingly had different tastes to it. There was one section that was exactly like table salt just in chuck form. But there was this one that had a bitter taste to it that salt does not have.
Cassie licking the wall!

Me licking the wall!




















Skye and George licking the wall!

View of the Chapel in the Salt Mine.



















Another thing that surprised me about the salt mine is that they had statues there. However, none of them were done by artists! All of them were done by miners. Another room they had down there was a chapel. You would never guess that this would be a thing since we were so far down in the ground. They put so much detail into this chapel that the ground had lines in it to mimic tile. What really made this tour really enjoyable was all the salt jokes that our tour guide made. Like in one part of the tour
they take us to this underground lake where they play pretty music and it is really popular for people to propose here. However, a couple months ago once the music started he got down on one knee and asked her the question, which she said no to… guess you could say he was a little salty about it. Yep we had all the salt jokes. So after this tour we checked into our hostel and nothing really exciting happened that day, which was great! The next day we went to a castle which was an interesting tour. It had an armory in it so that was pretty cool to look at all of the items. However, I only learned one thing really here because our tour guide spoke quietly and very fast. So trying to understand what she was saying took a lot of effort. Finally, on Sunday we got to sleep in a little and visit Schindler’s Factory. Now I have not seen the movie but I kind of knew what happened here. For those of you who do not know. Schindler was a guy who helped saved around 1,000 Jews and he did this by buying a factory and employing the Jews. Then when they came to take Jews to concentration camps, those who were working there did not have to go because they had a work permit and were basically working for the Nazis. These are the stories I love to hear because after seeing what they went through I am so happy that some people did not spend time in the camps. By the way 25 more days till I go home!

No comments:

Post a Comment